Keep the bok choy greens and stalks separate after they’ve been prepped, because they are added to the soup at different times. If you prefer your soup less spicy, use the lesser amount of curry past. Be sure to use light coconut milk here or the soup will be too rich.
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1-tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1-pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 3-4 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 small head bok choy, greens sliced thin and stalks chopped medium
- 2 (14 ounce) cans light coconut milk
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
Prepare the ginger and Bok Choy while the chicken browns. Slice the mushrooms and prepare the garnishes while the soup simmers.
1. Heat broth mixture: Bring broth, fish sauce, and brown sugar to boil, covered, in large saucepan and set aside.
2. Season and brown chicken: Meanwhile, pat chicken dry with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate.
3. Add seasoning and cook: Add ginger, curry paste, and ½ teaspoon salt to fat left in Dutch oven and cook over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Add broth mixture and bok choy stalks: Turn heat to low and stir in hot broth mixture, scraping up any browned bits. Add bok choy stalks and browned chicken. Cook, covered, until chicken is cooked through and not longer pink in center, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
5. Add coconut milk and mushrooms: Stir in coconut milk and mushrooms. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until mushrooms soften slightly, about 5 minutes.
6. Shred chicken: Add bok choy greens, season, and finish: While soup is simmering, shred chicken into bite-sized pieces. Stir in bok choy greens and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Off heat, stir in shredded chicken and lime, juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle bowls with cilantro leaves before serving.