GREEK-STYLE POCKETLESS PITA BREAD
Makes enough pitas to last a family for a week
- Unbleached all-purpose wheat flour [1,111g](90%)
- Whole wheat flour [123g](10%)
- Natural sea salt [25g](2%)
- Instant yeast [3g](0.25%)
- Extra virgin olive oil [19g](1.5%)
- Natural mineral water [717g](58%)
- Mix all ingredients until dough is formed
- Rest dough for 1 hour at room temp.
- Chill dough in tightly sealed container for minimum 1 day or up to 1 week (the longer it’s chilled, the better the flavour and dough handling)
- De-chill dough for 1 hour or so at room temp.
- Divide and pre-shape dough into balls
- Rest balled dough for 30 minutes or so at room temp.
- Flatten balled dough with rolling pin; dust with flour as necessary (the thickness of the dough will expand 2 or 3 fold after it’s baked)
- Optional: Prick entire flatten dough with a fork
- Bake flatten dough in preheated oven (+350C) with baking stones for less than a minute; turn off top heating element if possible; when dough starts to puff, flip it using tongs; additional flipping may be necessary
- Remove pita when each side has blotches of browning
- Cool and eat
Note: If you don’t have a oven that can heat above 350C, then I recommend using a stove top or grill.
This recipe comes from BakingBadly at Reddit